backup file trees in rotating archives: feedback, questions, discussions about rsback

Text archives Help

[rsback] Re: bug in rsback

  • From: Hans-Juergen Beie <hjb AT pollux.franken.de>
  • To: piotr.jablonski AT inbox.com
  • Cc: rsback AT lists.franken.de
  • Subject: [rsback] Re: bug in rsback
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2008 19:49:22 +0200

Hello Jabol,

Piotr Jabłoński schrieb am 06.06.2008 0:00 Uhr:
hi

First of all I want to thank You for a great piece of app. It saved me whole bunch of time rescuing me from writing my own scripts.
I think i discovered a bug, but have no time to reaserch it further and post solution so I can only tell You where it is.
With default configuration file and task like below:

[public]
source = /home/public
destination = /backup/public
rotate = daily 7
mode = rsync

command: rsync -v public
produces two different things depends on two conditions.
If source folder ISN'T empty i get my source backed up in daily.1 in destination folder like this destination/daily.1/public.
also a history file. And if if run command again i get same results only with daily.2 extra and so on. This is normal as expected.

But when folder IS empty i get in destination folder as follows:
history file, daily.1 which is empty and "public" folder which should be in daily.1, but for some reason it isn't. With running commnad again on empty source folder daily.2 appears but situation stays the same. I can reproduce this over and over again.

Anyway thanks for a great up. I wuold apriciate a feedback from You on above issue.
Thanks in advance

Regards
Jabol

Sorry for the late answer. I was on holiday for a week.

I can't reproduce your problem. I tried the following config:

# /etc/rsback/rsback.conf
[global]
tasks = public
rsync_options = -val --delete --delete-excluded --stats
[public]
source = /home/hjb/public
destination = /BACKUP1/public
rotate = daily 7
mode = rysnc

running rsback with an empty source dir /home/hjb/public two times ...

tante:~# rsback public
tante:~# rsback public

... yields:

tante:~# tree /BACKUP1/public/
/BACKUP1/public/
|-- daily.1
|-- daily.2
`-- history.daily

2 directories, 1 file

Now with a non-empty source and a fresh backup repository from scratch
tante:~# rm -rf /BACKUP1/public

tante:~# touch /home/hjb/public/test1
tante:~# rsback public
tante:~# touch /home/hjb/public/test2
tante:~# rsback public

... the archives look like
tante:~# tree /BACKUP1/public/
/BACKUP1/public/
|-- daily.1
| `-- public
| |-- test1
| `-- test2
|-- daily.2
| `-- public
| `-- test1
`-- history.daily

4 directories, 4 files

That's what is expected.

What versions of rsback and rsync are you using?
What's your operating system?
Please give me a log of rsback's output, e.g. by running
# rsback -v public > /tmp/rsback.log

BTW: Be aware of the usage of trailing slashes on source directories. rsback uses the same syntax as rsync, here (see 'man rsync'). In fact, rsback just hands over this path to rsync.

I guess, you wanted to get something like
/BACKUP1/public/
|-- daily.1
| |-- test1
| `-- test2
|-- daily.2
| `-- test1
`-- history.daily

To achieve that append a trailing slash to your source in rsback.conf:
source = /home/public/
^

hjb :-?
--
Hans-Juergen Beie
mailto:hjb AT pollux.franken.de

  • [rsback] Re: bug in rsback, Hans-Juergen Beie, 06/14/2008