RSPlib Discussions

Text archives Help

[RSPlib-Discusssion] Re: RSerPool Question

  • From: Thomas Dreibholz <dreibh AT iem.uni-due.de>
  • To: Anees Narsinh <anarsinh AT numetra.com>
  • Cc: rsplib-discussion AT sctp.de
  • Subject: [RSPlib-Discusssion] Re: RSerPool Question
  • Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2009 08:03:01 +0200

On Freitag, 2. Oktober 2009, you wrote:
> Dear Dr. Dreibholz,
> I am V.P. Engineering at numetra (www.numetra.com) a company involved in
> delivering quality internet service to the end user. While looking into
> Handle System RFCs, I came across your work on RSerPool. We may have an
> application where we can use RSerPool. However, it appears from your
> description that it requires an application to be loaded on the client
> (PU). Is this really true?

Do you refer to the Scripting Service example application of RSPLIB, which is
used e.g. for SimProcTC (see
http://www.exp-math.uni-essen.de/~dreibh/omnetpp/
) or computation workload distribution (see http://tdrwww.exp-math.uni-
essen.de/dreibholz/rserpool/rserpool-publications/NGComNet2009-SCTP-and-
RSerPool-Student.pdf )? The Scripting Service is just one of many
applications
which can use RSerPool.

> Our users may be reluctant to add an
> application on their PCs. Your clarification in this matter will be
> highly appreciated.

RSerPool/RSPLIB only provides the foundation for reliable and redundant
services, i.e. it manages server pools and handles sessions with these pools.
For a detailed introduction, see http://duepublico.uni-duisburg-
essen.de/servlets/DerivateServlet/Derivate-16326/Dre2006-final.pdf . The
behaviour of the application is in the responsibility of the application
itself, i.e. the application may implement arbitrary mechanisms to handle
workload over the RSerPool sessions. For example, the Scripting Service
distributes complete applications while the Fractal Generator Service (also
included as example in the RSPLIB package) provides its own protocol for
requesting graphics computations.

For more specific descriptions, I need some more information about your
application and its communication patterns.

Dr. Thomas Dreibholz

University of Duisburg-Essen, Room ES210
Inst. for Experimental Mathematics Ellernstraße 29
Computer Networking Technology Group D-45326 Essen/Germany
E-Mail:
dreibh AT iem.uni-due.de
Homepage: http://www.iem.uni-due.de/~dreibh

  • [RSPlib-Discusssion] Re: RSerPool Question, Thomas Dreibholz, 10/02/2009