[SCTP-Discussion] Question about RTO-Backoff and RTO-Masurement

  • From: Peterschofsky Heinz <heinz.peterschofsky AT siemens.at>
  • To: "'discussion AT sctp.de'" <discussion AT sctp.de>
  • Subject: [SCTP-Discussion] Question about RTO-Backoff and RTO-Masurement
  • Date: Tue Mar 20 15:14:01 2001

Hello,

I got a question about RTO-Management in the pathmanagement-section
of the SCTP-prototype : The Rounttrip-Time measurement and the RTO-Backoff
mechanism are dependent of switches called chunksAcked and timerBackoff. So
the RTO-Backoff and RTO-Update will be done only once in a HB-periode.
My Question is : Why is this implemented this way ? I didn´t found a
corresponding chapter in the RFC-document. And : What will happen if someone
is disabling the HB ? Then no HB-timer is running and the used switches will
never be reset. This means no RTO-Backoff and no new RTO-Calculation is
possible.

Please can you tell me if there is a reason why those mechanisms are
implementet that way.

with kind regards / mit freundlichen Grüssen

Heinz Peterschofsky
mailto:heinz.peterschofsky AT siemens.at
Siemens Österreich PSE SMC BI 21
Siemensstraße 88-92 1210 Wien
Telefon : +43 5 1707 28657
Fax: +43 5 1707 53767

  • [SCTP-Discussion] Question about RTO-Backoff and RTO-Masurement, Peterschofsky Heinz, 03/20/2001