[SCTP-Discussion] Segmentation Fault at pm_heartbeatTimer() in pathmanagement.c

  • From: "Chang Jin-woong" <jwjang AT telcoware.com>
  • To: <discussion AT sctp.de>
  • Subject: [SCTP-Discussion] Segmentation Fault at pm_heartbeatTimer() in pathmanagement.c
  • Date: Mon Dec 10 17:33:38 2001

Hello,

Last week while I'm testing sctplib, I've got some segmentation faults
at the function pm_heartbeatTimer() in pathmanagement.c.
The problem can be generated in the following case:
(1) Run a sctplib-based client process in machine A, and server process in
machine B.
(2) Connect the client and server processes.
(3) Let them transmit a few messages.
(4) Keep them idle serveral minutes, they will send and receive HEARTBEATs and
HEARTBEAT ACKs repeatedly.
(6) Kill the server process in machine B silently. (by kill -9)
(7) Client process in machine B dies with segmentation fault as soon as it
detects
the lost of connection.

I recorded full client-side log messages generated by sctplib when the above
situation occurred. Here is the last lines of logged messages:
> 12:47:14.988 - Event in Module: pathmanagement.c............
> 12:47:14.988 - handleChunksRetransmitted: communication lost
> 12:47:14.989 - Event in Module: pathmanagement.c............
> 12:47:14.989 - Association was removed by handleChunksRetransmitted(0)!!!!
> Segmentation Fault(coredump)

Full log messages are attached as a file in gzipped text format. Hope this
would be helpful.
I could generate the above case on a Sun platform running Solaris 2.6, and a
Compaq/Tandem
Integrity S4000 platform running NonStop/UX C52 operating system.
(Sorry, I couldn't generate the case on the Linux platform. Since my client
program has
a piece of codes which cannot be compiled on the Linux.)

Hope this is an already known problem.

Best Regards,

Chang Jin-woong
jwjang AT telcoware.com

  • [SCTP-Discussion] Segmentation Fault at pm_heartbeatTimer() in pathmanagement.c, Chang Jin-woong, 12/10/2001