RE: [SCTP-Discussion] Streams and D-Channels

  • From: umesh AT cosystems.com
  • To: <discussion AT sctp.de>
  • Subject: RE: [SCTP-Discussion] Streams and D-Channels
  • Date: Tue Dec 18 09:37:00 2001
  • Deliver-to: <discussion AT sctp.de>

Hi Mike,
I do not have an SS7 background. However, I will try to answer your
questions
and hope they will be helpful to you. You might be able to find better
answer by
posting the question to SIGTRAN group.
First thing to note is that the concept of SCTP stream is different from
the
underlying number of links. Even though you have 16 physical links in an
linkset, you can have more than 16 streams or less than 16 streams. Having
said that, if you negotiate 16 streams between SG and MGC, mapping of
messages from stream id to SLS and vice versa (For messages received
from MGC to SG and vice versa) would be much easier than having less than
16 streams or more than 16 streams.
So I would say that number of streams per association should be chosen
depending on the nature of application. In case of IUA, you could negotiate
number of streams equal to number of D channels supported by the SG. If
SG is capable of supporting 4K ISDN lines (Either BRI/PRI), both SG and
MGC could negotiate 4096 streams. In this case if you use only default
stream 0, then the risk of head-of-line blocking when transferring
messages between SG and MGC are high.

If you post your message

-thanks,
Umesh