Re: [SCTP-Discussion] RE: [Tsvwg] contradiction in draft-ietf-tsvwg-sctpimpguide-03.txt

  • From: "Brian F. G. Bidulock" <bidulock AT openss7.org>
  • To: Arun Prasad <arun AT netlab.hcltech.com>
  • Cc: discussion AT sctp.de, tsvwg AT ietf.org, sctpimp AT netlab.hcltech.com
  • Subject: Re: [SCTP-Discussion] RE: [Tsvwg] contradiction in draft-ietf-tsvwg-sctpimpguide-03.txt
  • Date: Fri Mar 15 07:02:00 2002
  • Dsn-notification-to: <bidulock AT openss7.org>

Arun,

On Fri, 15 Mar 2002, Arun Prasad wrote:

> Hi Brian,
> Comments inline......
>
> "Brian F. G. Bidulock" wrote:
>>
>> Arun,
>>
>> The association does not time out because when doing a zero
>> window probe there is nothing to use to calculate RTT, so
>> a Heartbeat must be sent to the destination within the hearbeat
>> interval. When the Hearbeat Ack is succesfully returned, the
>> retransmission counts are cleared. If you use the recommended
>> values for heartbeat interval, RTO min, and path max retrans
>> you will not lose the association on a zero window probe of
>> indefinite length.
>>
> Ha, I got the point.....The thing which I missed is the
> HeartBeatAck and clearing of the Rtx counter..... I think the the first
> issue is cleared ... Now I could derive the solution for it... See if
> that is ok...
>
> * There is no need of maintaining a seperate timer for the Zero
> Window probing, as the T3 timer will automatically do this job....
> * There is no special processing required for the zero window
> probing except the following check, the rest can follow the procedures
> Rfc 2960...
>
> Check:
> *While trying to send a Data chunk (either new or Retransmitted
> one..) and if the SND.WND=0 (Effective SendWindow) then the Data
> chunk is sent to the peer only if there is no Outstanding
> chunks......... And by continuiuing this, will lead to the Rtx
> counter exceeding the Max.Retrans threshold.... then the path will
> become inactive and a HB is sent.... and when an HB-ACK is
> received.... the Path will again go to the ACTIVE state... and
> continue Retransmitting that Data chunk till the ARwnd is
> Non-zero....

Yup. However, the imp guide also allows the implementation to not
timeout the destination in the first place if the a_rwnd = 0. This is
necessary because heartbeats can be suppressed on a destination basis.

>> In your example with a receive buffer of 500 and an incoming
>> data chunk of 1500, it is typical to not discard this chunk,
>> but to process it (let the rwnd slop by 1000 bytes) and then
>> start advertizing a zero receive window. This way there is no
>> problem.
>>
> But the above point contradicts the implementation guide...
> If I have understood the below lines properly..... "The SCTP endpoint
> MUST always acknowledge the reception of each valid DATA chunk when the
> DATA chunk received is inside its receive window."

This does not say that the endpoint must discard anything. Nor does it
say that the endpoint is not permitted to ack chunks and slop the receive
window.

> But even the Receiver discards the data chunk and sends a SACK
> of ARwnd = non_zero_value..... the sender will still have the SND.WND as
> zero and will be doing the zero window probing....... The below is that
> scenario....
>
> * Sender sends a data chunk of size 1500 when its SND.WND=500
> (because one data chunk is allowed to be sent when the Rwnd is not
> sufficient...)
> * Receiver receiving this will discard the chunk as it has the
> Rwnd= 500..... And Sends the Sack as ARwnd = 500...

Don't discard the chunk. Accept it, SACK it, and advertize a_rwnd = 0.
IMO an implementation should never discard messages due to insufficient
receive buffer space without advertising a_rwnd = 0.

--brian