Re: AW: [SCTP-Discussion] Re: Bundling

  • From: M.Mueller (bhu5nji) <bhu5nji AT yahoo.com>
  • To: discussion AT sctp.de
  • Subject: Re: AW: [SCTP-Discussion] Re: Bundling
  • Date: Mon Mar 18 16:57:00 2002

On Monday 18 March 2002 10:04 am, you wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> this is not a trivial API! I'm not sure if this complexity is what the
> user wants.
><snip>
> That could be a feature for a future release but I think other features
> are more important.
><snip>

Resist feature creep. Go for functional robustness. Adding complex code to
get the most performance out of a USD7.00 Ethernet interface is unwise use of
expensive human effort. If throughput is a problem, add more hardware.

SCTP and other SIGTRAN protocols are complex. And with SS7 and ISDN as its
model, why would it not be?. There are no testing standards so interop
testing is left to users. For users to take on this job, there needs to
moderation to the rate of adding new features. That way we can learn the
various implementations, compare them, discuss them in new forums, and return
to the implementation and standards forums with results and recommendations.

Mike M.