Re: [SCTP-Discussion] not able to execute application

  • From: Andreas Jungmaier <ajung AT exp-math.uni-essen.de>
  • To: discussion AT sctp.de, Hideki Kishida <kishida AT secnet.co.jp>
  • Subject: Re: [SCTP-Discussion] not able to execute application
  • Date: Tue Apr 9 11:17:01 2002

Hello Hideki,

I think we can help you out ! See my comments inline,
please:

On Dienstag, 9. April 2002 10:06, Hideki Kishida wrote:
> 1. The following error message is output.
> "sctp_initLibrary: could not open raw socket for SCTP. You
> must have root provileges !"
> Whether or not only the root to can execute an application,
> when SCTPlib is used?

Yes, only root has sufficient privileges to open the appropriate
(raw) sockets. It might be possible to do it differently, then
you would have to use capabilities, and the user executing the
socket calls would need to have the capability to open a raw
socket. But I am not exactly sure how that works, and current linux
kernels do not seem to support that feature.
(see http://original.killa.net/infosec/caps/ for references)

> 2. I am not able to execute the plural application.
> When it tries to establish the association with the 2nd
> application abort is done.

Yes, and that is okay like that. See RFC 2960, section 8.4.
If you run 2 instances (i.e. 2 processes), one process is not able
to know that the other runs (unless they have some IPC, which the
do NOT have). To make things work in that case, you can set a
library (i.e. global) flag, which will stop the sending of ABORT
messages when a message is out of the blue.
(use
int sctp_setLibraryParameters(SCTP_LibraryParameters *params);
int sctp_getLibraryParameters(SCTP_LibraryParameters *params);
for that)
Please note that this is a "work-around", which actually violates
RFC 2960, but well :-)

The other solution would be to make the two instances run
in one process.

Regards,
Andreas

Dipl.-Ing. Andreas Jungmaier | _
Computer Networking Technology Group | ASCII ribbon campaign ( )
University of Essen | - against HTML email X
http://www.exp-math.uni-essen.de/~ajung | & vcards / \