Re: [SCTP-Discussion] hi all!

  • From: "Brian F. G. Bidulock" <bidulock AT openss7.org>
  • To: Badhrinath Sampathkumar <badhrinath_s AT myrealbox.com>
  • Cc: discussion AT sctp.de
  • Subject: Re: [SCTP-Discussion] hi all!
  • Date: Sat Apr 27 01:37:00 2002
  • Dsn-notification-to: <bidulock AT openss7.org>

Badhrinath,

On Fri, 26 Apr 2002, Badhrinath Sampathkumar wrote:

X---snip---X

> How are the streams and buffers related?That is, does each stream has
> a buffer space reseved for it?If not how is the common buffer managed.

An association has one buffer. Messages on any stream competes for buffer
space on a first-come-first-served basis.

> How are TSNs allocated in chunks across multiple streams.

TSNs are allocated on a per-association basis (and thus congestion control
is per-association as well). Streams complete for the congestion window
on a first-come-first-served basis.

This has been criticized before, however, if per-stream congestion and flow
controls are necessary, the SCTP ULP must implement them. There was a draft
at one time to include these in an SCTP extension; however, I believe that it
has been withdrawn in favor of application-level protocols.

--brian

--
Brian F. G. Bidulock ¦ The reasonable man adapts himself to the ¦
bidulock AT openss7.org