[SCTP-Discussion] A small clarification needed on processing the SHUTDOWN chunk..

  • From: "Harimuruga" <harimuruga AT infosys.com>
  • To: <discussion AT sctp.de>
  • Subject: [SCTP-Discussion] A small clarification needed on processing the SHUTDOWN chunk..
  • Date: Fri May 24 16:17:01 2002

A small clarification needed on processing the SHUTDOWN chunk.

As per RFC (9.2),

Once an endpoint as reached the SHUTDOWN-RECEIVED state it MUST NOT send a
SHUTDOWN in response to a ULP request, and should discard subsequent SHUTDOWN
chunks.

In the implementation guide(draft-ietf-tsvwg-sctpimpguide-03.txt), in section
2.12.2, it says...

While in SHUTDOWN-SENT state, the SHUTDOWN sender MUST immediately
respond to each received packet containing one or more DATA chunk(s)
with a SHUTDOWN chunk, and restart the T2-shutdown timer. If a
SHUTDOWN chunk by itself cannot acknowledge all of the received DATA
chunks (i.e. there are TSN's that can be acknowledged that are larger
than the cumulative TSN and thus gaps exist in the TSN sequence) then
a SACK chunk MUST also be sent.

>From the above, I understand that when the association is in SHUTDOWN-SENT
>state, if there are no gaps exists in the received data chunks, they will be
>acknowledged through SHUTDOWN itself. If there are gaps, a SACK must be sent
>to acknowledge it. But on the other side ( which is in SHUTDOWN-RECEIVED
>state ), shutdown chunk will be discarded without checking the cumulative
>TSN. Should we process the shutdown chunk also when we are in
>SHUTDOWN-RECEIVED state ?

Please correct me if I am wrong.

TIA
- Hari.

  • [SCTP-Discussion] A small clarification needed on processing the SHUTDOWN chunk.., Harimuruga, 05/24/2002