Re: [SCTP-Discussion] Primary Path and paths between hosts

  • From: Michael Tuexen <Michael.Tuexen AT micmac.franken.de>
  • To: Shigeru Kashihara <shigeru AT nrd.jp>
  • Cc: discussion AT sctp.de
  • Subject: Re: [SCTP-Discussion] Primary Path and paths between hosts
  • Date: Sat Jul 27 20:02:00 2002

Each SCTP endpoint considers each of the addresses of the peer as on path. Therefore a
path is a remote IP address. It is not a pair of a local and remote address.

The decision which of the multiple IP addresses of the peer is considered as the primary path is up to the end point. In the ADD-IP extension there is a way to tell the peer which address to use as the primary.

The source address is chosen by the kernel based on the forwarding table (at least in our implementation).

We provide a primitive (sctp_setprimary) to set the primary path.