[SCTP-Discussion] Multihoming connections using socketapi

  • From: "Bala Kanagasabai" <bala.k AT ieee.org>
  • To: <discussion AT sctp.de>
  • Cc: <bala.k AT retriever.com.au>
  • Subject: [SCTP-Discussion] Multihoming connections using socketapi
  • Date: Fri Jun 27 08:52:01 2003

Hi all,

I am trying out a test case where a server is multihomed with two
transport addresses in an endpoint. The additional IP addresses are
created using the following:

ifconfig eth0:0 192.168.0.200
route add -host 192.168.0.200 dev eth0:0

ifconfig eth0:1 192.168.0.201
route add -host 192.168.0.201 dev eth0:1

The server endpoint is denoted as:

Echo Server= [192.168.0.200, 192.168.0.201:7]

I would like a client to initiate a connection to the first transport
addresses (192.168.0.200) then switch to the second IP address
(192.168.0.201). In particular, a primary path is designated to the
first transport address of the server and the client. In the event of a
fault detection event, the client should switch over to the other path
which is activated to be the primary path.

My intention is to simulate cross network mobility of a PDA client,
first from an IEEE802.11b network to a GPRS network. I understand that
the ADDIP extension is not ready yet. I will not need this feature
because I will be only using two IP address, with handovers between
them. Furthermore, the IP address is always known before hand.

I have used some of the Socket options such as SCTP_RECVDATAIOEVNT and
SCTP_RECVASOCEVNT and followed closely with the example program:
ideexampleudp.c but am still a bit unsure.

Question:
=========
Can anyone tell me the sequence of steps (API calls) I have to use to
establish an association with the server with two IP address, and be
able to switch to alternative path (primary) when its required.
(simulate fault tolerance).

Thanks in advance

Bala