NOTE WELL (was: Re: [SCTP-Discussion] OOTB packets)

  • From: Andreas Jungmaier <ajung AT exp-math.uni-essen.de>
  • To: "Mike" <maik AT fastwebnet.it>, discussion AT sctp.de
  • Subject: NOTE WELL (was: Re: [SCTP-Discussion] OOTB packets)
  • Date: Thu Apr 29 15:47:01 2004

On Dienstag, 27. April 2004 11:40, you wrote:
> Why I must ignore the OOTB packets if I work in loopback?

Well, generally, if you let *two instances* of the sctplib run
on one system (over loopback), i.e. a echo_server and a terminal,
then *each instance* will react to each SCTP packet sent over the
loopback (this is a limitation of the raw socket we use).

That is, if the terminal sends a packet to the echo_server, both
the terminal process and the echo_server process will receive
this packet. The terminal will not accept a packet with a
destination port of 7 though (in general) and will react with
an ABORT chunk which it will receive itself again.

So the terminal in this example would terminate its own
association setup, which of course is not what we want....
...have a look at an ethereal trace and see what happens when
OOTB packets are not ignored...

NOTE WELL:

help is on its way...we will probably soon release a version of
SCTPLIB-devel that works differently from the way SCTPLIB
works now:
there will be a SCTPd server process, which will perform the
SCTP packet I/O, and there will only be a single server process
per system.

The processes using SCTP on a host system will link to an SCTP
library exactly as they do now, but this library will communicate
via a local IPC mechanism with the SCTPd.

SCTPd will need to be a privileged process, which can drop privileges
after startup. The "client" processes using SCTP can be normal
processes without privileges (or need only have the privilege
of being able to access the local IPC).

Stay tuned !

Andreas

- --
Dipl.-Ing. Andreas Jungmaier
Computer Networking Technology Group
University of Duisburg-Essen
http://www.exp-math.uni-essen.de/~ajung
PGP Key-ID: D382 4AC0

PGP Key-Fingerprint: 228C 7C2C 3381 2DD4 9998 2812 5C0B 0B04 D382 4AC0