Re: [SCTP-Discussion] How usefull is SIP over SCTP ?

  • From: Michael Tuexen <Michael.Tuexen AT micmac.franken.de>
  • To: Miguel <don_miguel AT chile.com>
  • Cc: discussion AT sctp.de
  • Subject: Re: [SCTP-Discussion] How usefull is SIP over SCTP ?
  • Date: Sat Apr 16 19:52:01 2005

This is a general question, so you can get a general answer only:

Telephony Signalling in the sense of SS7/IP does only run over SCTP, as all
SIGTRAN layers require SCTP.

SIP/UDP has some problems. For example with long SIP messages requiring
IP fragmentation.

If you use SCTP or TCP depends on the fault tolerance you want. SCTP supports
multihoming and multiple streams, TCP not.