Re: [SCTP-Discussion] helping Multi-Homing work faster

  • From: Andreas Jungmaier <jungmaier AT web.de>
  • To: discussion AT sctp.de, DavidPascoe <dp AT ii.net>
  • Subject: Re: [SCTP-Discussion] helping Multi-Homing work faster
  • Date: Wed Feb 15 11:32:03 2006

Hi Dave,
you may want to have a look at an old paper of ours, which you can find
on
http://tdrwww.exp-math.uni-essen.de/inhalt/forschung/sctp_fb/sctp_links.html
It's named "On the Use of SCTP in Failover-Scenarios", and you
probably find some insight there.

Kind regards,
Andreas

David Pascoe
<dp AT ii.net>
schrieb am 15.02.06 08:32:32:

Hi All,

I can see that you get multiple paths when you create an association with
a multi-homed peer. Assuming that both ends are multi-homed, what could an
ULP do to speed up the multi-homing feature ?

I assume a heartBeat will bring down a path and choose another path when a
fault occurs.

Is there anything that the ULP do to help a path swap over. If say a local
interface goes down, we could guess that a path within the association
_might_ be gone because we would route out the down interface to the peer
address in that path - but ... it isn't a given that they route _to_us_
over the same interface that we route to them.

So I was wondering what people do to give positive event indications to
sctplib rather than wait for heartBeat to do it for you ? (also assuming
that you aren't running a routing protocol that will hide all of this from
you).

cheers,
davidp.
--