Re: [SCTP-Discussion] Multihoming SCTP on MacOS X issue

  • From: Michael Tuexen <Michael.Tuexen AT micmac.franken.de>
  • To: Andreas Fink <afink AT global-networks.ch>
  • Cc: "discussion (E-mail)" <discussion AT sctp.de>
  • Subject: Re: [SCTP-Discussion] Multihoming SCTP on MacOS X issue
  • Date: Fri Mar 17 09:33:13 2006

Hi Andreas,

see my questions in-line.

On Mar 17, 2006, at 5:12 Uhr, Andreas Fink wrote:

Hi there,

I realized that I have a multihoming issue under MacOS X.

Here's my setup

Cisco ITP <------> en0 my-app
\--> en1
Could you specify (possibly offline) the IP-addresses? What is between the Cisco
box and the the Mac? A LAN? Some network?

We have two SCTP streams here. One going to en0 and one going to en1. Both run M2PA protocol over it.
Do you mean associations (= SCTP connections) instead of stream?
The issue we are facing is that the one on en1 does never come up. I see an incoming SCTP INIT form the cisco going to en1's IP. But I see the answer going back on en0 with the IP of en0 ! And of course this results in an abort. So this stream never comes up.
This sounds like a problem resulting from the addresses. That is why I'm asking for them.

If en0 is physically down, it works. The issue only seems to exist if both links are physically up. Both IP's are properly pingable from the cisco.

Note: the associations are created with the IP's of en0 and en1 respectively. This is not multipath SCTP. Both SCTP streams are totally independent. They only have the same remote IP but not the same port.

Does anyone have an idea on how to track this down?

Andreas Fink
Global Networks Schweiz AG

Tel: +41-61-6666330 Fax: +41-61-6666334 Mobile: +41-79-2457333
Global Networks Schweiz AG. Clarastrasse 3, 4058 Basel, Switzerland
Web: http://www.global-networks.ch/
afink AT global-networks.ch
ICQ: 101946485 MSN:
msn1 AT gni.ch
AIM: smsrelay Skype: andreasfink
Yahoo: finkconsulting SMS: +41792457333
PGP9: 0714 DF2B A189 A760 6201 5CBD D040 3E71 4DAF 68BB