Re: [SCTP-Discussion] how to use...

  • From: Thomas Dreibholz <dreibh AT iem.uni-due.de>
  • To: Aurobinda Maharana <rana AT bhaskara.ee.iisc.ernet.in>
  • Cc: discussion AT sctp.de
  • Subject: Re: [SCTP-Discussion] how to use...
  • Date: Mon Mar 27 11:32:01 2006

On Monday 27 March 2006 06:51, Aurobinda Maharana wrote:
> ear Sir,
> I have tried to test the rsplib architecture using sctplib-1.0.4 ,
> socketapi-1.7.0 and rsplib-1.0.0 .
> The same is working fine as the readme documnent suggests i.e. the
> registrar, pool elemet and pool user on the same machine.
> I want to implement video streaming in this architecture.
> So is there any manual kind of things which can help to configure the
> rsplib on diffent machines so that i can stream from one to another?

For the case the registrar announces itself via multicast ASAP Announces, the
only thing you have to configure is the same Pool Handle for PU and PE. When
you use all components on the same machine, make sure that the multicast
announces can be sent. That is, if - and only if - your host does *not* have
a default route, you have to set up a dummy interface and default route.
Example:
ifconfig dummy0 172.31.255.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 up
route add default gw 172.31.255.200
On the other hand, if your hosts are connected e.g. via Ethernet, you should
*not* set up the dummy device. You can test your configuration with the
example programs provided. If the example PE and PU can find the registrar,
everything is fine.

Possible problems:
- Connectivity problems -> Check if each host can ping each other host.
- If you also use IPv6, also check the connectivity for IPv6.
- Do not use NAT. This will not work.
- The firewall of the hosts does not allow UDP messages / multicast messages
/
SCTP -> turn off the firewall.

Recommendations:
Before implementing PU and PE for your application, consider using the
"unstable" version available at
http://tdrwww.iem.uni-due.de/dreibholz/rserpool/. It provides the new, future
RSerPool API and contains many bugfixes and improvements. Note, that you must
also use the provided "unstable" versions of sctplib and socketapi in this
case.

Dipl.-Inform. Thomas Dreibholz

University of Essen, Room ES210
Inst. for Experimental Mathematics Ellernstraße 29
Computer Networking Technology Group D-45326 Essen/Germany
E-Mail:
dreibh AT exp-math.uni-essen.de
Homepage: http://www.exp-math.uni-essen.de/~dreibh