[SCTP-Discussion] restarting a failed association

  • From: David Pascoe <dp AT ii.net>
  • To: discussion AT sctp.de
  • Subject: [SCTP-Discussion] restarting a failed association
  • Date: Fri Apr 21 12:42:05 2006

I'm having a play with trying to get a failed association to be re-created
automatically when it fails. For the case where there has never been
another peer to talk to, I want the communicationLostNotif to kick off a
new association for when the other end does come (back) online.

Is there any reason that I should not call sctp_associate inside the
communicationLostNotif ULP thread ? It isn't obvious why yet but sctplib
doesn't seem to be able to create a new association whilst the old one is
still failing ?

Also some of the example programs show various combinations of the
following functions being called in the communicationLostNotif ;

sctp_deleteAssociation
sctp_unregisterInstance
sctp_receiveUnsent
sctp_receiveUnacked

Are there any restrictions on what can and can't be called ? It seems to
me that I don't have to call any of these, and in fact shouldn't call them
as they either do nothing or make sctplib go strange.

thanks,
davidp.
--
David Pascoe,
mailto:dp AT ii.net,

This means that an electric company can sell a customer the same batch of
electricity thousands of times a day and never get caught, since very few
customers take the time to examine their electricity closely. In fact the
last year any new electricity was generated in the United States was 1937;
the electric companies have been merely re-selling it ever since, which is
why they have so much free time to apply for rate increases.
-- Dave Barry, "What is Electricity?"