[SCTP-Discussion] SCTP Path selection !!

  • From: manju reddy <manju.reddy001 AT gmail.com>
  • To: sctp-discussion AT sctp.de
  • Subject: [SCTP-Discussion] SCTP Path selection !!
  • Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2013 21:49:48 -0500

    I'm new to SCTP, so wanted to understand the SCTP behavior in case of Path selection.

    Hope this mailing list helps me here.

    I have an single homed server(running on solaris10 u8) and Multi-homed client(two-IP's).
    Assume client's IP is X and Server is using(Y,Z).

    In client side i have configured the PathMaxRetrans as 3, RtoMin as 500 msec, RToMax as 2000, RtoInitial as 2000.

   At the start of the association the primary path selected was X -> Y and everything was fine. But due to some network issues or some delays, i could see SACK for only packet from Y was delayed, which we re-transmitted after 500 msec to Z.

   I hope that was fine till then, but after we started sending only to Z. But still due to different values and setting on server side, they are still sending the DATA from Y only to X.

Now It has become something like this.

X---->DATA--->Z
X<---SACK<---Z

X<---DATA<---Y
X--->SACK--->Y

But my question is even though the PathMaxRetrans as 3, why the path switched just for one failure??

And when will it switch back to primary path??

Is there any configuration parameter like avoiding primary path or not??? which may help me??

Thanks for your time,
Thanks in advance,

Manju