Re: [SCTP-Discussion] SCTP for Windows

  • From: Thomas Dreibholz <dreibh AT iem.uni-due.de>
  • To: Eyal Savion <eyalsavion AT hotmail.com>
  • Cc: "sctp-discussion AT sctp.de" <sctp-discussion AT sctp.de>, "discussion AT sctp.de" <discussion AT sctp.de>
  • Subject: Re: [SCTP-Discussion] SCTP for Windows
  • Date: Tue, 04 Jun 2013 10:42:59 +0200

Dear Eyal,

sorry for the late reply!

If you have the option to develop on Ubuntu 12.04, I would recommend to get
started with sctplib using Ubuntu first. Most sctplib users are probably
using
either Linux, FreeBSD, MacOS X or Solaris, so it is much easier to provide
help. Once you are familar with sctplib under Linux, it should be much easier
to also get it working under Windows, if necessary.

To use sctplib under Linux, download the packages sctplib and socketapi. The
versions provided should run fine under Ubuntu 12.04 (Precise Pangolin). The
only thing you need to note is that Linux already provides kernel SCTP. You
cannot use kernel SCTP and userland SCTP (i.e. sctplib) simultaneously.
However, what you can do is to tunnel userland SCTP over UDP. In this case,
it
is important to know that UDP-tunnelled sctplib userland instances can *not*
communicate with non-UDP-tunnelled SCTP instances. As long as all of your
test
programs run UDP-tunnelled sctplib, everything is fine.

To install sctplib in UDP-tunneled mode, unpack sctplib and install it as
follows:
cd sctplib-<VERSION>
./configure --enable-sctp-over-udp
make
sudo make install

Then, install socketapi the same way. Note, that it also needs an option for
UDP-tunnelled SCTP:
cd socketapi-<VERSION>
./configure --enable-sctp-over-udp
make
sudo make install

You can have a look into the examples directories of socketapi and sctplib to
find test programs. Also have a look into the documentation.

When developing new software, I would recommend to base it on the socket API.
The socket API of sctplib (in the socketapi package) is mostly RFC 6458
compliant, i.e. except for the "ext_" prefix of the functions, you can work
with userland SCTP in the same way as with kernel SCTP. This particularly
also
includes calls like poll() and select()! If you decide in the future to also
use your programs with kernel SCTP implementations, it is very easy to
compile
your program to do so (by adding a few #defines, provided in ext_socket.h).

For an example on how to write SCTP software that supports kernel as well as
userland SCTP (configurable by compile-time option), see my RSerPool
implementation rsplib at
http://www.iem.uni-due.de/~dreibh/rserpool/index.html
.

However, if you want to use sctplib under Window, there is unfortunately no
socketapi port yet. You can then either use the callback API of sctplib
itself, or port socketapi to Windows. This should not be too difficult, but I
have never tried it and no experience with Windows programming.

--
Best regards / Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Med vennlig hilsen

Thomas Dreibholz

Simula Research Laboratory
Simula Innovation AS, Network Systems Group
Visiting address: Martin Linges vei 17, 1364 Fornebu, Norway
Mailing address: P.O.Box 134, 1325 Lysaker, Norway
E-Mail:
dreibh AT simula.no
Homepage: http://simula.no/people/dreibh