Re: [SCTP-Discussion] Sctplib on Android

  • From: Thomas Dreibholz <dreibh AT iem.uni-due.de>
  • To: Dag Ove <daggy2k AT hotmail.com>
  • Cc: Michael Tuexen <michael.tuexen AT micmac.franken.de>, "sctp-discussion AT sctp.de" <sctp-discussion AT sctp.de>
  • Subject: Re: [SCTP-Discussion] Sctplib on Android
  • Date: Sun, 02 Mar 2014 15:56:43 +0100

Hi,

Fredag 28. februar 2014 15.40.19 skrev Dag Ove:
> Hello again,
> I didn't manage to build the Socket API because of problems with PTHREAD (I
> found out that Android's Bionic C library comes with its own pthread
> implementation bundled in, which doesn't support pthread_cancel_enable,
> pthread_cancel_disable etc). So Socket API is out of the question without a
> major rebuild suited for Android.

I am not sure whether these functionalities are really necessary. Not all
functions of the Thread class are actually needed for the socket API. It may
be useful to do some testing by just commenting out the pthread_cancel things.

The cancellation functions were in very early versions used to quickly about
threads created by the socket API. But later versions apply a more graceful
(and portable) way of shutting down threads and cleaning up everything.

> I was hoping to call the sctplib directly
> without using the Socket APi. The problem is that sctp_initLibrary()
> returns an "adaption level error" because itstrying to open a raw socket,
> even if SCTP_OVER_UDP is defined. I also looked at the build process and

Yes, due to the feature of having multiple instances running on the same
system. If you only want once instance per system, it should be possible to
use an UDP socket instead.

> the corresponding files for libsctp in Firefox, and tried to build it on
> Android. It vent much better than the original usrsctp, but at a point i
> got the message from my Android NDK builder: jni/netinet/sctp_asconf.c: In
> function 'sctp_process_asconf_set_primary':jni/netinet/sctp_asconf.c:533:4:
> error: 'sctppcbinfo' undeclared (first use in this
> function)jni/netinet/sctp_asconf.c: In function
> 'sctp_asconf_iterator_end':jni/netinet/sctp_asconf.c:2274:3: error:
> 'sctppcbinfo' undeclared (first use in this
> function)jni/netinet/sctp_asconf.c: In function
> 'sctp_addr_mgmt_ep_sa':jni/netinet/sctp_asconf.c:3260:3: error:
> 'sctppcbinfo' undeclared (first use in this function) and haven't managed
> to sort that out.
> So I am not sure where to go from here; try to make sctplib work on Android,
> og try to make usrsctp on Android :)

It depends on the use case. If you need a full-featured socket API, sctplib
is
probably the best choice. If you want up-to-date SCTP features like Add-IP,
chunk authentication, CMT-SCTP, etc., but with a quite limited API only, then
usrsctp may be useful.

(Actually, we have an offer for a student project to extend the usrsctp API
->
https://simula.no/education/ssri/master-opportunities/available-master-topics/copy_of_communication-systems/a-state-of-the-art-userland-stack-for-sctp
. However, so far, we have not found a candidate for this project yet.)

--
Best regards / Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Med vennlig hilsen

Thomas Dreibholz

Simula Research Laboratory
Simula Innovation AS, Network Systems Group
Visiting address: Martin Linges vei 17, 1364 Fornebu, Norway
Mailing address: P.O.Box 134, 1325 Lysaker, Norway
E-Mail:
dreibh AT simula.no
Homepage: http://simula.no/people/dreibh

  • Re: [SCTP-Discussion] Sctplib on Android, Thomas Dreibholz, 03/02/2014