Re: [SCTP-Discussion] Re: SCTP implementation

  • From: "La Monte Henry Piggy Yarroll" <piggy AT baqaqi.chi.il.us>
  • To: discussion AT sctp.de
  • Subject: Re: [SCTP-Discussion] Re: SCTP implementation
  • Date: Wed Mar 14 12:57:01 2001

Yiwen Jiang
<Yiwen.Jiang AT tic.siemens.ca>
writes:
> > What we have now is just enough that an adventuresome developer could
> > write a working SCTP application with our code. Our direction is
> > toward implementing the UDP-style interface first. Naturally, we'd be
> > thrilled to have some developers start pounding on our
> > implementation.
>
> If I was goign to use your implementation, how do you support multi-stream
> in the UDP-style interface?

The API supports streams with the use of cmsghdr's. Use the
SCTP_INITMSG option (Section 7.1.4) to request more than one stream at
startup. Use the SCTP_SNDRCV (Section 5.2.2) ancillary data to
specify the stream for each datagram.

It is our intent to recommend wrapper functions ala the IPv6 Advanced
API so that you don't have to populate these data structures by hand,
but we have not specified these yet. If you have suggestions, we are
certainly interested.

> > If stability and OO methods are important to you, I strongly recommend
> > Andreas' and Michael's implementation. If you'd like to help shake
> > out the design of the UDP-style interface, try our implementation.
>
> Thank you for your suggestion... I'll look more into the code and try to
> make a decision.. I really like the sound of kernel implementation for SCTP,
> but stability is quite important for me as well...

Lack of stability is a short-term problem for our implementation--we
are actively developing.

Another implementation that will be out shortly is a FreeBSD
implementation from Randy Stewart. He has a very clever hack that
lets him embed the user space implementation into the kernel. Very
slick!