RE: [SCTP-Discussion] appropriate usage of echo_server/echo_clien t and discard_server/t erminal demo programs

  • From: Yiwen Jiang <Yiwen.Jiang AT tic.siemens.ca>
  • To: "'discussion AT sctp.de'" <discussion AT sctp.de>
  • Cc: "'Andreas Jungmaier'" <ajung AT exp-math.uni-essen.de>
  • Subject: RE: [SCTP-Discussion] appropriate usage of echo_server/echo_clien t and discard_server/t erminal demo programs
  • Date: Tue Apr 3 21:02:02 2001

Hi Michael and Andreas,

Thank you very much for your replies... I'm combining my reply into one
email...

> > I have been fighting to get the above two sets of demo code
> to work for a
> > while now, but with limited success..
> >
> > Both program runs, but there seems to generate some output
> that doesn't make
> > sense to me, especially on the client side. For example,
> the client seems to
> > receive SCTP messages it sent out to the server, and turns
> around and try to
> > parse the message, but discovers that the destination port
> number is not
> > registered, and the packet is dropped...
> [Tuexen Michael] Hmm, sounds like the client and servers run
> on the same host. This 'feature' was never fully
> supported and will
> be dropped with the next release. We only support then
> having multiple
> sctp processes running with disjoint sets of
> IP-addresses. This needs
> the forwarding table to set up in tune with the processes.
Ahh... I kinda guessed that was the issue, and tried to do this on 2
machines, and got into another problem... I discovered that if I specify the
server address to be: 127.0.0.1, the programs (any pair) behave
differently... but if I specify the actual server address to be somewhat
reasonable, all works! This is why it didn't work on 2 machines for me
initially.

My question now would be, shouldn't the SCTP library translates the
127.0.0.1 to its real net address before sending packets to the client and
vice versa (well, really the client is another running server)??

> [Tuexen Michael] How to run the server:
> ./echo_server -s 192.168.1.1 -V
> For the client use
> ./echo_client -s 192.168.1.2 -d 192.168.1.1 -n 1 -V
Is the -n option a mandatory one? what does it really do?

Thanks!