Re: [SCTP-Discussion] appropriate usage of echo_server/echo_client and discard_server/t erminal demo programs

  • From: Andreas Jungmaier <ajung AT exp-math.uni-essen.de>
  • To: Yiwen Jiang <Yiwen.Jiang AT tic.siemens.ca>, discussion AT sctp.de
  • Subject: Re: [SCTP-Discussion] appropriate usage of echo_server/echo_client and discard_server/t erminal demo programs
  • Date: Tue Apr 3 11:01:02 2001

On Monday, 2. April 2001 22:45, Yiwen Jiang wrote:
> Hi Michael,
>
> I have been fighting to get the above two sets of demo code to work for a
> while now, but with limited success..
>
> Both program runs, but there seems to generate some output that doesn't
> make sense to me, especially on the client side. For example, the client
> seems to receive SCTP messages it sent out to the server, and turns around
> and try to parse the message, but discovers that the destination port
> number is not registered, and the packet is dropped...

Hello Yiwen,
try to set the variables Current_event_log_ and Current_error_log_
in the file globals.h both to 0 to stop the library from generating
debug messages. That is normally done before each release, but that time
I forgot to reset this.

> I read through the demo section of the SCTP manual that was distributed
> with the library. But there was very limited documentation on how these
> demo program should be used, whether or not the behaviour described above
> are normal. I have been stepping through the source code (into the library
> code) attempting to figure out the proper way of running these demo
> programs... (remote port, local port, remote server IP, local server IP,
> etc)

That is in the works !
Also I wanted to add a usage() clause, so that if you use
the wrong options, you will get a short information on how
to use the program...That's is somewhere on my internal TODO
list :-)

Basically the echo_server and echo_client belong together, and
you get it running very simply (for now, see function getArgs()
for the possible arguments):
- - start the echo_server on one machine (IP address W.X.Y.Z) by calling
./echo_server -s W.X.Y.Z
optionally, you may chose verbose output (option -v) or very verbose
output (-V). Several source addresses may be specified with several
- - Then start a client on another machine by calling
./echo_client -s A.B.C.D -d W.X.Y.Z -v

and both should start sending hence and forth....

Andreas Jungmaier

void hamlet()
{#define question=((bb)||(!bb))}
Andreas Jungmaier, Dipl.-Ing.
University of Essen email:
ajung AT exp-math.uni-essen.de
Computer Networking Technology Group Tel. : +49 (0201) 183-7636
PGP Public Key and Fingerprint: see http://www.exp-math.uni-essen.de/~ajung