RE: Re(2): [SCTP-Discussion] appropriate usage of echo_server/ech o_clien t and discard_server/t erminal demo programs

  • From: Tuexen Michael <Michael.Tuexen AT icn.siemens.de>
  • To: "'discussion AT sctp.de'" <discussion AT sctp.de>
  • Subject: RE: Re(2): [SCTP-Discussion] appropriate usage of echo_server/ech o_clien t and discard_server/t erminal demo programs
  • Date: Wed Apr 4 09:23:01 2001

See my comments below.

Michael Tuexen Tel.: +49 89 722 47210
Siemens AG Fax: +49 89 722 48212
ICN WN CS SE 51 E-mail:
Michael.Tuexen AT icn.siemens.de

[Tuexen Michael] If the host is multihomed (something
usual if you are using SCTP) there is no special
IP-address identifying the host. And the problem is not
usig 127.0.0.1 with SCTP but having running multiple
UNIX processes which use our library. Therefore we will
support having multiple processes but with different
IP-Addresses. But this does not enable you to run client
and server on the same host. Nevertheless it should be possible
to run client and server in the same process (never tested ...)
> > Maybe it would be good for the demo applications that if you use no
> > -s parameters all possible ip addresses would be used. Something which
> > has nothing to do with the sctp stuff.
> Or to have the demo server to check to see if there is a loopback address
> specified? Or, should this be done in the SCTP library? Just that I can see
> people using 127.0.0.1 as server address without realizing the consequences
> of it.
[Tuexen Michael] I think we have to make it clear in the
documentation.