[SCTP-Discussion] About the SCTP checksum

  • From: Luca Papotti <Luca.Papotti AT italtel.it>
  • To: discussion AT sctp.de
  • Subject: [SCTP-Discussion] About the SCTP checksum
  • Date: Mon Jul 9 17:51:01 2001

Hi all,
I have a question about the SCTP checksum.
The RFC defines a single checksum covering the entire packet.
This could lead to inefficient behaviour in the case of data
corruption, 'cause an error in a single DATA CHUNK results in the
retransmission
of all other DATA CHUNKS eventually boundled in the same packet.
This, combined whit the need to re-compute the Adler-32 checksum 4 the entire
packet,
is an overhead, I think.
Do You know the reason of this choice, or what I missunderstand ??
Thank's.