Re: [SCTP-Discussion] About the SCTP checksum

  • From: " M. Mueller" <bhu5nji AT yahoo.com>
  • To: <discussion AT sctp.de>
  • Subject: Re: [SCTP-Discussion] About the SCTP checksum
  • Date: Mon Jul 9 19:40:01 2001

IMHO...
communication systems are of much higher quality today (fiber optics, etc.),
checksum errors are less of a concern, thus allowing more stuff to be
bundled into a packet as in the case of chunk bundling (bigger packets =
fewer headers and increased utilization)

SS7 is an example of a protocol built to be reliable in a noisy environment.
In a noise-reduced environment like is the case in many locations today, the
safety of SS7 is the unneeded overhead.

Furthermore, chunk bundling can be suppressed, can it not? (I'll have to
re-read 2960 on that one-Section 1.3.5 says it can be suppressed, but
suppression can be ignored in times of congestion.

Best regards,
Mike