RE: [SCTP-Discussion] About the SCTP checksum

  • From: Tuexen Michael <Michael.Tuexen AT icn.siemens.de>
  • To: "'discussion AT sctp.de'" <discussion AT sctp.de>
  • Subject: RE: [SCTP-Discussion] About the SCTP checksum
  • Date: Tue Jul 10 10:46:00 2001

Dear all,

the SCTP checksum provides packet integrity, not DATA chunk integrity.
Therefore the SCTP header is included in the checksum calculation.
Something you won't have with only checksumming DATA chunks. And what
about control chunks?

So I think you need a fast checksum (or CRC) for the whole packet. If this
is not enough for user data, the ULP can use a digest to provide higher
integrity. This has not to be recalculated in case of retransmission.
See for example
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-tuexen-tsvwg-tls-over-sctp-00.txt

Michael Tuexen Tel.: +49 89 722 47210
Siemens AG Fax: +49 89 722 48212