RE: [SCTP-Discussion] About the SCTP checksum

  • From: Tuexen Michael <Michael.Tuexen AT icn.siemens.de>
  • To: "'discussion AT sctp.de'" <discussion AT sctp.de>
  • Subject: RE: [SCTP-Discussion] About the SCTP checksum
  • Date: Tue Jul 10 12:52:01 2001

Dear all,
see my comments below.

Michael Tuexen Tel.: +49 89 722 47210
Siemens AG Fax: +49 89 722 48212
ICN WN CS SE 5 E-mail:
Michael.Tuexen AT icn.siemens.de

[Tuexen Michael] Well, you can disable bundling, if you want.
> A potential alternative solution is an Adler-32 checksum covering all
> control informations including
>
> 1. SCTP header
> 2. all chunk headers
> 3. All control chunks (SACK ...)
>
> and a distinct checksum 4 every DATA CHUNK.
[Tuexen Michael] Well this seems not appropiate for me, but...
> This sol. has the advantage to remove the probability of unnecessary
> chunks retransmission, at the same computational cost of the overall chksm.
> Obviously with the overhead of a checksum field (4 byte) in every DATA
> header.
> What do You think ??
[Tuexen Michael] Hmm. I think this mailing list is for discussing
the implemenation available at www.sctp.de
The discussion you want should be held on the tsvwg mailing list. See
http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/tsvwg-charter.html
[Tuexen Michael] for general discussion of SCTP modifications.

> P.S. I'm not suggesting to modify the RFC 2960, it's only 4 discussion
> purpos ;)
[Tuexen Michael] Well, so what should be the result of such a
discussion?