RE: [SCTP-Discussion] heartbeat

  • From: Tuexen Michael <Michael.Tuexen AT icn.siemens.de>
  • To: "'discussion AT sctp.de'" <discussion AT sctp.de>
  • Subject: RE: [SCTP-Discussion] heartbeat
  • Date: Tue Aug 28 13:27:01 2001

Dear Sebastian,

there is a perfect tool for making ASCII graphics
called Email Effects, which is available from
http://www.sigsoftware.com

I can only answer (or comment) your question because
the company I'm working for has bought a license
from a well known sofware company so that I can read
the file you have attached.
Please use plain ASCII in future postings, or use at
least .pdf.

What OS are you using. The behaviour is, lets say,
strange (or buggy). I tried the same here with FreeBSD
and MacOS X and I had a correct behaviour. Only the
interface, which was pinged, answered with the correct
address. So your IP layer is strange and that affects also
the SCTP layer.

The testbed I'm using has dualhomed hosts with IP addresses
in different networks and both hosts are connected by two
HUBS/Switches. So both netwroks are physically seperated,
therefore it is easy to produce path failures. More advanced
tests are done using the following setup:

+-------------+ +-------------+ +-------------+
| Host A | | WAN Emulator| | Host Z |
| | | | | |
| 192.168.1.1|---------|192.168.1.254| | |
| | | | | |
| | |192.168.2.254|---------|192.168.2.1 |
| | | | | |
| | | | | |
| | | | | |
| | | | | |
| | |192.169.2.254|---------|192.169.2.1 |
| | | | | |
| 192.169.1.1|---------|192.169.1.254| | |
| | | | | |
| | | | | |
+-------------+ +-------------+ +-------------+

The forwarding in host A is configure in a way that all packets for
192.168.0.0 are send to 192.168.1.254 and all packets for 192.169.0.0
are send to 192.169.1.254. Host B is configured in the same way.

The WAN Emulator is a PC with 4 Ethernet interfaces running FreeBSD.
The DUMMYNET package (part of the FreeBSD OS) is used to delay and/or
drop packets. Therefore the packets between host A and host Z will
experience loss, delay, reordering and so on. For more information see
http://www.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/ip_dummynet/

Hope that helps.

Michael Tuexen Tel.: +49 89 722 47210
Siemens AG Fax: +49 89 722 48212