[SCTP-Discussion] M3UA Port Number

  • From: "Chang Jin-woong" <jwjang AT telcoware.com>
  • To: <discussion AT sctp.de>
  • Subject: [SCTP-Discussion] M3UA Port Number
  • Date: Mon Dec 10 18:07:01 2001

Hello all,

May I ask a question on M3UA?

Nowadays I have ongoing interoperability tests with beta version of
signalling gateway system from a company, with my sctplib-based M3UA clients.
During the test, the guys from the company told me that I should use 2905
for the dedicated local port number at client-side, as well as for the remote
port
number at server-side.
And they said, if not, their SG will not accept the connection.
So I modified my program to use only 2905 as local port, and it worked.

But my common sense from TCP experience, there cannot be any special
reason to use the same port number for both servers and clients.
According to the M3UA draft-10, it writes that
"The SCTP and TCP Registered User Port Number Assignment
for M3UA is 2905" (1.4.8 Client/Server Model).

I think that it only means the "well-known" port number for M3UA server is
2905.
But does it also imply that M3UA client should also use 2905 as its local port
number?

What is the exact meaning of "Registered User Port Number"?

Thanks in advance,
Chang Jin-woong
jwjang AT telcoware.com