Re: [SCTP-Discussion] M3UA Port Number

  • From: "Michael Mueller/bhu5nji" <bhu5nji AT yahoo.com>
  • To: <discussion AT sctp.de>
  • Subject: Re: [SCTP-Discussion] M3UA Port Number
  • Date: Mon Dec 10 19:07:00 2001

I did a quick check on the rev 10 document. I couldn't find
anything disallowing the requirement that the client to use 2905 as
its source port. A possible interpretation could be that SCTP/M3UA
is a peer-to-peer relationship. It is a client-server relationship
only for establishing the relationship.

The TCP client-server model allows the client to use an ephemeral
port. The server always knows the ephemeral port number because it
arrives in a request for service. The server never strikes up a
conversation with its clients so it doesn't need to know the ports
of its clients prior to receiving a request for service.

In a peer-to-peer relationship, both sides are clients. Therefore,
both sides are better off knowing the "well-known" port for M3UA
service. Having the same well-known port makes that a trivial
exercise. Otherwise, one side would have the luxury of knowing 2905
while the other side would need exceptional procedures to get the
ephemeral port of the so-called client. In your case, the server
would have to record your ephemeral port and provide the value to
his M3UA code.

Mike