RE: [SCTP-Discussion] Re: Performances of high speed data transmi ssion

  • From: Tuexen Michael <Michael.Tuexen AT icn.siemens.de>
  • To: "'discussion AT sctp.de'" <discussion AT sctp.de>, Andreas Jungmaier <ajung AT exp-math.uni-essen.de>
  • Cc: Alberto Bellettato <alberto.bellettato AT icn.siemens.it>
  • Subject: RE: [SCTP-Discussion] Re: Performances of high speed data transmi ssion
  • Date: Mon Feb 18 12:07:00 2002

Dear all,

see my comments below.

Michael Tuexen Tel.: +49 89 722 47210
Siemens AG Fax: +49 89 722 48212
ICN WN CS SE 5 E-mail:
Michael.Tuexen AT icn.siemens.de

[Tuexen Michael] We do not do memory locking. But with
enough RAM you do not swap. I have used 128 MB and there were
no page faults.
> o Depending on the memory allocation scheme within the
> user-space library, malloc and free could cause a
> page fault, resulting in the user-space process
> losing the processor.
>
> A way to stop this is to run the process at a higher
> priority or under a different scheduling algorithm
> (e.g. RTC).
[Tuexen Michael] We have not experienced page faults but our
memory management is NOT optimized. The prototype is not performance
optimized at all.

> o User space implementations may have different than
> expected reactions to things like poll() and
> setitimer(). Careful that the mechanisms you use in
> your test program are not harmfully interacting with
> the library.
>
> An example of a problem here is using setitimer to
> time a loop while disrupting the library's use of
> the signal.
[Tuexen Michael] When using our sctplib you can't use
poll.

> o The user-space implementation may cause the process
> to yeild through over-agressive use of mutexes,
> locks and semaphores.

[Tuexen Michael] The plain sctplib does not use mutexes,
semaphores or that. Only the socketapi implementation does.