Re: [Tsvwg] RE: [SCTP-Discussion] Multihoming

  • From: Randall Stewart <randall AT stewart.chicago.il.us>
  • To: Ivan.Arias-Rodriguez AT nokia.com
  • Cc: bidulock AT openss7.org, Michael.Tuexen AT icn.siemens.de, tsvwg AT ietf.org, discussion AT sctp.de
  • Subject: Re: [Tsvwg] RE: [SCTP-Discussion] Multihoming
  • Date: Fri Feb 22 15:07:02 2002

Ivan:

Well you hit the nail on the head as ususal... without
doing this setup between multi-homed hosts does not
work very well... consider

Host-A Host-Z
IP-1 IP-5
IP-2 IP-6

---INIT(IP-1,IP-2)---\ /--INIT(IP-5,IP-6)---
toIP-1<-frm-IP-5-----/\------frm-IP-2------>toIP-6

Now unless inspection is done of the INIT/INIT-ACK the
two will NOT realize they are both setting up a association
at the same time.

Another consideration is Address filtering. Often times
a host MUST use the IP address of the interface that you
are sending from.. or get the packet filtered so in the above

----Frm-IP-1:INIT(IP-1,IP-2)------to(IP-5)----------->
(route to IP-1 points out
intf
of IP6.. note this may
be
from either only one
allowed
default route.. or some
other
reason).
<----------to(IP-1)--INIT-ACK(IP-5,IP-6)--------From-IP-6

And we have the same secenario..

As far as looking for this text in the RFC .. sadly the full text
was chopped in one of the IESG passes (due to my lack of communication
skills as to why it is there)... and now all that is left is the
trival little statement of:

"
IMPLEMENTATION NOTE: In some cases (e.g., when the implementation
doesn't control the source IP address that is used for
transmitting), an endpoint might need to include in its INIT or
INIT ACK all possible IP addresses from which packets to the peer
could be transmitted.
"

I think we will need to add a few lines to the implementors guide...
Also
there is NOTHING in the spec that makes this illegal as you point out.
I remember we discussed this amongst the many emails and I addressed
just
these points.

Well more grist for the implementors guide :>

Ivan.Arias-Rodriguez AT nokia.com