Re: [Tsvwg] RE: [SCTP-Discussion] Multihoming

  • From: "Brian F. G. Bidulock" <bidulock AT openss7.org>
  • To: Randall Stewart <randall AT stewart.chicago.il.us>
  • Cc: Ivan.Arias-Rodriguez AT nokia.com, Michael.Tuexen AT icn.siemens.de, tsvwg AT ietf.org, discussion AT sctp.de
  • Subject: Re: [Tsvwg] RE: [SCTP-Discussion] Multihoming
  • Date: Fri Feb 22 15:12:01 2002
  • Dsn-notification-to: <bidulock AT openss7.org>

Randall,

This is a different situation altogether that you are
talking about. What you describe is of course already
handled in most implementations I believe.

The RFC says the INIT ACK MUST be sent to the source
address of the INIT.

We are questioning whether it is required to send the
INIT ACK *from* the destination address of the INIT,
or whether it is permitted to send them from any
element in the list.

IMO the INIT process (INIT INIT-ACK exchange) is
restricted to pair of transport endpoints (the one
sending the INIT and the one replying with an INIT-ACK).

There is absolutely no need to inject other IP addresses
into the IP header (source or destination address). Multi-
homed addresses from which the INIT or INIT-ACK are sent
should appear at most in the address list in the chunk.

If you want to permit the behavior that the sender of
the INIT-ACK can use any old source address in the list,
there would be a conflict with the RFC restriction that
the INIT-ACK "MUST" be sent to the sender (source address)
of the INIT.

However, we discussed this before and it was the questioned
whether opening up the INIT/INIT-ACK exchange to the entire
address lists would not somehow weaken the secuity of the
INIT process.

If the INIT-ACK can come from any source address in the
list, where is the COOKIE-ECHO then sent?

--brian