Re: [SCTP-Discussion] multiple UA excecution on one machine

  • From: Andreas Jungmaier <ajung AT exp-math.uni-essen.de>
  • To: discussion AT sctp.de, Hideki Kishida <kishida AT secnet.co.jp>
  • Subject: Re: [SCTP-Discussion] multiple UA excecution on one machine
  • Date: Tue Apr 2 11:47:00 2002

Hello Hikedi,

basically, the answer to the question which scenario works,
is, most should, but probably not all will. This depends
also on the OS that you use (notably FreeBSD alias handling
behaves different from Linux alias handling).
Case 1 works (you can try the multiserver example that
comes with the distribution -- it uses this feature)
Case 2 should work, that is: if it does not, our implementation
has a bug. In general, two SCTP endpoints (that is, running
instances in our case) running on one machine must have a set
of disjoint IP addresses.
With aliases, it may or may not work, since under linux,
the outgoing packet usually has the primary/main address, since
we are using a raw socket....

Regards,
Andreas

BTW: are the adresses correct in you pictures ? It might be
better to use symbolic names like IP A1, IP A2, IP B1, IP B2 etc.

On Thursday, 28. March 2002 13:48, Hideki Kishida wrote:
> Hi,
> I want to execute the same application plural on one machine.
> However, I not know whether or not the following is possibility.
>

> 1. case same IP(address), different Port
>
> HOST 1 HOST 2
> +------+ +------+
> |UA 1 |association|UA 1 |
> |IP=1 |-----------|IP=2 |
> |Port=1| |Port=1|
> +------+ +------+ same NIC
> |UA 2 |association|UA 2 |
> |IP=1 |-----------|IP=2 |
> |Port=2| |Port=2|
> +------+ +------+
>

> 2.a case same Port, different IP (different NIC)
>
> HOST 1 HOST 2
> +------+ +------+
> |UA 1 |association|UA 1 |
> |IP=1 |-----------|IP=2 | NIC 1
> |Port=1| |Port=1|
> +------+ +------+
> |UA 2 |association|UA 2 |
> |IP=2 |-----------|IP=2 | NIC 2
> |Port=1| |Port=1|
> +------+ +------+
>

> 2.b case same Port, different IP (same NIC)(IP alias)
>
> HOST 1 HOST 2
> +------+ +------+
> |UA 1 |association|UA 1 |
> |IP=1 |-----------|IP=2 |
> |Port=1| |Port=1|
> +------+ +------+ same NIC
> |UA 2 |association|UA 2 |
> |Port=1| |Port=1|
>

> Best Regards,

Dipl.-Ing. Andreas Jungmaier | _
Computer Networking Technology Group | ASCII ribbon campaign ( )
University of Essen | - against HTML email X
http://www.exp-math.uni-essen.de/~ajung | & vcards / \

  • Re: [SCTP-Discussion] multiple UA excecution on one machine, Andreas Jungmaier, 04/02/2002