RE: [SCTP-Discussion] UDP-style socket queries

  • From: Tuexen Michael <michael.tuexen AT siemens.com>
  • To: "'Oon Heok Kee'" <oonheokkee78 AT hotmail.com>, discussion AT sctp.de
  • Subject: RE: [SCTP-Discussion] UDP-style socket queries
  • Date: Thu Oct 17 17:12:01 2002

see my comments below.

Michael Tuexen Tel.: +49 89 722 47210
Siemens AG Fax: +49 89 722 48212
ICN WN CC SE 7 e-mail:
Michael.Tuexen AT siemens.com

The client should first call send, because the client should
start (implicitly) the association setup. Keep in mind that
the server has to call listen on the server socket to allow
accepting associations.
> From the screen, I see that sendto() is continuosly called
> with no error
> messages appearing. If I'm to give the server a client IP to
> send data to,
> will it just start sending once sendto() is called (even when
> the client is
> down), or it needs the client to be running and the 2
> machines perform the
> 4-way setup before any data can be transferred?

UDP like API means 'implicit association setup'. So the client
will first call sendto() and therefore the SCTP implementaion
will establish an association (4 way hand shake) and after that
it will transfer the data. If the server is not running you will
see only INITs on the wire, maybe an ABORT in response to that.
> Secondly, since only TCP-style socket support SO_SNDBUF, can you
> recommend an alternative method to obtain the same effect of
> using SO_SNDBUF
> with an UDP-style socket?
I'm not sure what behaviour you want from the socket. Could you explain
that a bit?