Re: [SCTP-Discussion] Error using SCTP.de Library Make

  • From: Andreas Jungmaier <ajung AT exp-math.uni-essen.de>
  • To: Vinod Cherian Joseph <vinod AT corecess.com>, <discussion AT sctp.de>
  • Subject: Re: [SCTP-Discussion] Error using SCTP.de Library Make
  • Date: Thu Jun 19 08:36:52 2003

Hi Vinod,

I am not sure, to which sctplib release version this error applies, usually
a ./configure; make (; make install) should work even on newer systems.

I do not personally use RedHat myself, but googling for the error
message, I came up with the following: When (*and if*) you run
autoconf/automake,
either autoconf or auotmake complains that some macros have already been
defined. The configure.in script was created for an older version of
autoconf, and newer versions of the autoconf/automake combo have changed some
things slightly. I have also run into this issue myself (constantly upgrading
my Mandrake system :-), so for the upcoming release I will have that fixed,
hopefully.

See below for what you might want to do, although I cannot promise
success. Please, if you try this, could you post how it worked ?!

From
http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/autoconf/2001-07/msg00104.html :

New Macros
- ----------
Because Autoconf has been dormant for years, Automake provided
Autoconf-like macros for a while. Autoconf 2.50 now provides better
versions of these macros, integrated in the `AC_' namespace, instead of
`AM_'. But in order to ease the upgrading via `autoupdate', bindings
to such `AM_' macros are provided.
Unfortunately Automake did not quote the name of these macros!
Therefore, when `m4' find in `aclocal.m4' something like
`AC_DEFUN(AM_TYPE_PTRDIFF_T, ...)', `AM_TYPE_PTRDIFF_T' is expanded,
replaced with its Autoconf definition.
Fortunately Autoconf catches pre-`AC_INIT' expansions, and will
complain, in its own words:

$ cat configure.in
AC_INIT
AM_TYPE_PTRDIFF_T
$ aclocal-1.4
$ autoconf
./aclocal.m4:17: error: m4_defn: undefined macro: _m4_divert_diversion
actypes.m4:289: AM_TYPE_PTRDIFF_T is expanded from...
./aclocal.m4:17: the top level

Future versions of Automake will simply no longer define most of
these macros, and will properly quote the names of the remaining macros.
But you don't have to wait for it to happen to do the right thing right
now: do not depend upon macros from Automake as it is simply not its job
to provide macros (but the one it requires by itself):

>>> Vinod: Try this here:

$ cat configure.in
AC_INIT ....AM_bla...AM_bla..AM_foo...AM_bar...
$ rm aclocal.m4
$ autoupdate
autoupdate: `configure.in' is updated
$ cat configure.in
AC_INIT
......modified....AC_bla...AC_blubb...AC_foo....AC_bar
$ aclocal-1.4
$ autoconf
$ ./configure;make
-

Hope that helps...as I said, just for compiling, the configure script
originally distributed with the library should work alright (and if it
doesn't, and you never called automake or autoconf before compiling sctplib,
please state that. Thanks !)

Andreas