SV: [SCTP-Discussion] SCTP performance measure

  • From: Torbjörn Andersson <torbjorn.andersson AT kau.se>
  • To: "'Michael Tuexen'" <Michael.Tuexen AT micmac.franken.de>
  • Cc: <discussion AT sctp.de>
  • Subject: SV: [SCTP-Discussion] SCTP performance measure
  • Date: Mon Jul 26 09:57:03 2004

Hello everyone. You are having an interesting conversation here and I
have some questions.

See statements and/or questions below.

However, is the timing of your implementation accurate? In terms of the
accuracy of the retransmissions and more.

Naturally, the sctplib must have the necessary computing resources
available but today computers have no problems with that, or what do you
say?

> Best regards
> Michael
>
> On Jul 23, 2004, at 10:47 AM, Andreas Jungmaier wrote:

> > All,
> >
> > just as a side note: the performance of sctplib by itself
> > is not so bad, and it easily allows saturating a 100 MBit/s
> > link. The performance issues come into play for instance if
> > you have a large number of associations on a server
> > (in sctplib-1.0).

A protocol performance measurement is in my eyes not a test in an
unlimited network (100mbit/s). The performance of a protocol is in my
eyes seen during congestion and other losses.

So if the retransmission accuracy of your implementation is ok then is
the implementation valid for performance tests, at least in networks
with limited bandwidth and buffering resources.

Do you agree with me?