[SCTP-Discussion] Re: SCTP roaming with heterogeneous client/server interfaces

  • From: Michael Tuexen <Michael.Tuexen AT micmac.franken.de>
  • To: Vanegue julien <Vanegue.julien AT epita.fr>
  • Cc: discussion AT sctp.de, dreibh AT exp-math.uni-essen.de
  • Subject: [SCTP-Discussion] Re: SCTP roaming with heterogeneous client/server interfaces
  • Date: Tue Dec 14 19:57:15 2004

See my comments in-line.

On Dec 1, 2004, at 17:55 Uhr, Vanegue julien wrote:

Hi peoples,

I have read on the mailing list that SCTP roaming could
work only in case of multiple interfaces present on both
side of the association.

Yes.
Is it a problem if those interface are heterogeneous ?

No. SCTP only sees IP-addresses.
For instance, is it a problem if my client interfaces
are wifi and gprs ones and the server interfaces
are of different nature (say, a DSL and a dialup
interface).
That will work.

If you could give some more details about the reason
why the server MUST have more than one interface
(I know this information is exchanged during heartbeats, but
well, thats a consequence and not a reason), that would
be nice.

Assume that peer 1 has interface A_1 and the other peer 2
has two A2' and A2''.

If peer 1 can send traffic to A2' and A2''. So there might be
two physical paths. But for packets from peer 2 to peer 1
there is only one path. If that breaks, there is no way of
bidirectional communication. Since DATA, SACK or HB HB-ACK
are bidirectional the association will break if that path
breaks.
Thanks.

--
Julien Vanegue
<may AT epita.fr>

  • [SCTP-Discussion] Re: SCTP roaming with heterogeneous client/server interfaces, Michael Tuexen, 12/01/2004