[SCTP-Discussion] SCTP Partial reliability?

  • From: Raja Muhammad Hammad <rajahammad AT gmail.com>
  • To: discussion AT sctp.de
  • Subject: [SCTP-Discussion] SCTP Partial reliability?
  • Date: Thu Mar 24 00:12:07 2005

hi
I am confused as how to use partial reliability (PR) in my application.
Does the parameter in sctp_sendmsg() "timetolive" provide PR semantics
or there is something else required to exploit PR.
As stated out in SCTP socket API draft, lifetime parameter in RFC 2960
is different from the timed-reliability service in a way that if
"if SCTP has sent the first transmission before the lifetime expires,
then the message MUST be sent as a normal reliable message." which
means retransmissions of the message even if lifetime expires until
its ACK is received.

"When the "timed reliability" service is invoked, this latter
restriction is removed." By later it definitely means retransmisions
here.

Now in sctp_sendmsg() I guess "timetolive" corresponds to "lifetime"
parameter which means it does not provide PR semantics?.

I hope somebody could clear this out as what exactly is PR and how to
use it in an application using sctp library. It would be really
helpful to give an
example here.

Regards
Hammad