Re: [SCTP-Discussion] SCTP Partial reliability?

  • From: Michael Tuexen <Michael.Tuexen AT micmac.franken.de>
  • To: Raja Muhammad Hammad <rajahammad AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: discussion AT sctp.de
  • Subject: Re: [SCTP-Discussion] SCTP Partial reliability?
  • Date: Sat Mar 26 23:02:01 2005

Hi Hammad,

see my comments in-line.

On Mar 24, 2005, at 0:10 Uhr, Raja Muhammad Hammad wrote:

hi
I am confused as how to use partial reliability (PR) in my application.
Does the parameter in sctp_sendmsg() "timetolive" provide PR semantics
or there is something else required to exploit PR.
As stated out in SCTP socket API draft, lifetime parameter in RFC 2960
is different from the timed-reliability service in a way that if
"if SCTP has sent the first transmission before the lifetime expires,
then the message MUST be sent as a normal reliable message." which
means retransmissions of the message even if lifetime expires until
its ACK is received.
No, this is not state in the socket API ID. It is from RFC 3758 and makes
the difference clear between the timed reliability defined in section
4.1 of RFC 3758 and the lifetime parameter handling in RFC 2960.
The socket API ID discusses nothing related to this.

"When the "timed reliability" service is invoked, this latter
restriction is removed." By later it definitely means retransmisions
here.

Now in sctp_sendmsg() I guess "timetolive" corresponds to "lifetime"
parameter which means it does not provide PR semantics?.
Currently one one PR-SCTP service is defined and this service is
used (if supported by the implementation) by providing a non zero lifetime
in milli seconds.

I hope somebody could clear this out as what exactly is PR and how to
use it in an application using sctp library. It would be really
helpful to give an
example here.
I hope it is clear now.

Regards