[SCTP-Discussion] Re: sctplib-1.3.1 and add-ip

  • From: Michael Tuexen <Michael.Tuexen AT micmac.franken.de>
  • To: Ilknur Aydin <aydin AT mail.eecis.udel.edu>
  • Cc: Chien-Chung Shen <cshen AT mail.eecis.udel.edu>, discussion AT sctp.de, Andreas Jungmaier <andreas.jungmaier AT web.de>
  • Subject: [SCTP-Discussion] Re: sctplib-1.3.1 and add-ip
  • Date: Tue Mar 29 13:32:03 2005

Hi Ilknur,

see my comments in-line.

On Mar 29, 2005, at 0:55 Uhr, Ilknur Aydin wrote:

Hi Michael,

I have not used the developer version of Andreas, so I might not be right
here:
- test_tool might not be the program you want to use. Use combined_server
or echo_server as a server and terminal as a client.

yes, as "root" , I first I ran "sctpd" and then echo_server and terminal. And these programs worked together this way. But if I run them as a user w/o root previliges they can not start I get the error:

Connect failed: Permission denied
sctp_initLibrary(): Unknown error in Adaptation-module (maybe IPC file /tmp/s.sct not removed).
Hmm. You should not need to run the sctp programs with root privileges, only
the sctpd needs them.

I check the source code for echo_server and terminal programs, they both include sctp_wrapper.h instead of ua.h. As far as I understand this means the programs do not connect to the sctpd but instead try opening sockets themselves using SCTP_xxx library calls.
I do not know. One could do it by just linking the programs against a different
lib then the sctplib. Let us call it the sctpdlib. This lib would provide the
same API as the sctplib and therefore even sctp_wrapper.[ch] could be used.
Please note that sctp_wrapper.[ch] just wraps the sctp_* functions and does
some simple error handling for the examples programs.

how do I make user programs run as un-previleged users and connect/use sctpd library calls?
I would guess that you link against a different library, but Andreas knows...

Another question: in case I am OK to run programs as root and use sctplib functions as in sample programs echo_server, terminal, will there be any crucial problems in operating programs with sctplib ??
You have to disable OOTB handling.

- do not rely (too much) on documentation. Use the source code of the
implementation and of the examples to see how things work. Sometimes
you have the time to update the code but you forgot / have not the time
to update the documentation.

ok..

- regarding the link to get the version: it might be right, it is not
'officially released/tested/supported'. Possibly Andreas has continued
to develop it...

Since the version run on Linux only and I currently do not have the time
to port it to BSD, you have to ask Andreas for support. Or is anyone else
jumping in?

I need to run linux kernel 2.4.40, not BSD.
I'm not using Linux, so you can not get support from me. To run it on
Mac OS X, basically, I have to port it to it, which means port it
to BSDland.

But yes, I will ask Andreas for support questions then. Should I continue posting such emails to the discussion list as well ??

Thanks,
ilknur