[SCTP-Discussion] questions on sctplib1.3.1, addip, NAT

  • From: Ilknur Aydin <aydin AT mail.eecis.udel.edu>
  • To: Andreas Jungmaier <andreas.jungmaier AT web.de>
  • Cc: Chien-chung Shen <cshen AT mail.eecis.udel.edu>, discussion AT sctp.de
  • Subject: [SCTP-Discussion] questions on sctplib1.3.1, addip, NAT
  • Date: Tue Apr 5 22:52:01 2005

Hi Andreas,

I have checked the source code for sctplib1.3.1. (Please see the attached .pdf file).

My understanding is that:

1- sctpd opens a raw socket and listens for incoming IP packets with protocol number 132 (SCTP) and hands them to the correct sctp instance.

2- client_socket and unix_socket are two unix sockets opened on arbitrary ports for communication between sctpd and sctp instance.

could you verify 1 and 2 ?

I am wondering if stplib1.3.1 works with NATs? Consider the case

echo_server runs on a linux machine with one interface and global ip address.
terminal (client) runs on a linux redhat 9, behind a NAT, with one interface and ip address.

I tried this configuration, it did not work. Should I somehow config NAT (to work with port 132) or sctplib ?

Finally, as far as I see, sctpd opens a routing socket and hence whenever there is a change in the routing table (route/path added/deleted) sctpd is informed by the kernel with netlink/rtnetlink of this change. And this is the way to trigger sending asconf(add/delete-ip) chunks ??

Thanks,

Ilknur Aydin
DEGAS Networking Group
Dept. of Computer and Information Sciences
University of Delaware
http://www.cis.udel.edu/~aydin