[SCTP-Discussion] SCTP failover (path changeover) problem

  • From: Shefiroth Tsai <shefiroth AT gmail.com>
  • To: discussion AT sctp.de
  • Subject: [SCTP-Discussion] SCTP failover (path changeover) problem
  • Date: Thu Nov 3 03:22:01 2005

I have implemented a program using the sctplib to test the time consumed for an SCTP association to failover.
The client and then server both have two NICs.
Under the test, I setup the association between the client and the server.
Then I just pulled out one of the network wire of the client.
Theoretically, it should take at least 1+2+4+8+16+32=63 seconds to failover with the standard configuration.
(RTO.mix=1 sec, RTO.max=60 secs, PATH_MAX_RETRANS=5)
However, in my tests, it surprisingly usually only took about 20 seconds to failover.
Why shall this happen?
Can somebody explain the reason for me?
Thanks a lot!