Re: [SCTP-Discussion] documentation about sctplib

  • From: Michael Tuexen <Michael.Tuexen AT micmac.franken.de>
  • To: Julio Kriger <juliokriger AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: discussion AT sctp.de
  • Subject: Re: [SCTP-Discussion] documentation about sctplib
  • Date: Tue Nov 22 22:12:04 2005

Hi Julio,

see my comments in-line.

On Nov 22, 2005, at 6:57 PM, Julio Kriger wrote:

Hi Michael!
Well, thanks for your help. I think the chapter about sctplib will be a short one... Thanks anyway.

I would to tell you about RR-SCTP.

RR-SCTP is a proposed algorithm that make SCTP more robust to abrupt changes on RTT and packages reordering. This highly improves the performance of SCTP, specilly on wireless and satellital networks. I already have the algorithm implemented and working, and the results are very promising.

I can send you the RR-SCTP thesis if you like (but it's in spanish).
Just send it. Maybe I can get some idea, maybe not. I can give it a try.

I already have a patch for sctplib-1.0.3, that I could update to sctplib-1.0.4, regarding RR-SCTP.
I would like to know if you would consider add my patch to the main sctplib develpment tree?
The situation is as follows:
The sctplib-1.0.4 is in bugfix mode... So I'm very hesitant to put it
in... We had a developer branch for new features, but it is currently
not maintained. So this is not a good idea.

I do not know if it is applicable, but if you can put in the changes
#ifdefed out by default and provide a configure option to enable your stuff,
it would be OK. I would only check that it is really ifdefed out and compiles
also when it is enabled. This would not introduce any instability for people
not interested in RR-SCTP but gives people the possibility to play with
it, if they want. What do you think?

Regards,
Julio

On 11/22/05, Michael Tuexen <Michael.Tuexen AT micmac.franken.de> wrote: Hi Julio,

see my comments in-line.

On Nov 22, 2005, at 3:50 PM, Julio Kriger wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I'm writing my master thesys (an implementation of RR-SCTP over
> sctplib) and need some documentation. I've read the documentation
> that comes with the software. That is very good, but I need more.
> But just about sctplib, the internal working, if it use IP or UDP,
> etc.. I've enough information about the SCTP protocol.
Well, you got the source. That is all we can provide. The sctplib uses
a raw IP socket per default. UDP Tunneling is a compile option.
> Any line you could write to me will be welcome!
Three...
> Thanks in advance.
> Regards,
> Julio
>

> --
> --
> Stewie: [After Lois tries to feed Stewie his broccoli "airplane
> style"] Damn you, Damn the Broccoli, and Damn the Wright Brothers.
> Julio Kriger

mailto:juliokriger AT gmail.com