[SCTP-Discussion] Query regading Inbound and Outbound streams in SCTP

  • From: rohit agrawal <agrawal_rohit1 AT yahoo.co.in>
  • To: sctp <discussion AT sctp.de>
  • Subject: [SCTP-Discussion] Query regading Inbound and Outbound streams in SCTP
  • Date: Tue May 23 09:32:02 2006

Hi All,

SCTP specifies that during association start up itself the endpoints can specify the number of inbound and outbound streams. My first question is:

1 why is there a necesscity for having multiple streams within a single association? Doesn't data transfer over single stream suffice on either side.
2. During association start up if endpoint has specified 'm' outbound and 'n' streams, is it possible that endpoint can put some message on stream 1 and another message on stream 2 through socketsapi ?
Even if the above thing is possible how does it matter to application whether the application is coming from stream 1 or stream 2.

I am somewhat confused with the concept of "number" of inbound and outbound streams over a SCTP association.

I would be thankful if someone could throw light on the above questions

Regards
Rohit Agrawal

Yahoo! India Answers Share what your know-how and wisdom
Send free SMS to your Friends on Mobile from your Yahoo! Messenger Download now