Re: [SCTP-Discussion] _res.options interaction with solaris 9.

  • From: Thomas Dreibholz <dreibh AT iem.uni-due.de>
  • To: rcl AT ihug.co.nz
  • Cc: discussion AT sctp.de
  • Subject: Re: [SCTP-Discussion] _res.options interaction with solaris 9.
  • Date: Tue May 23 17:52:01 2006

On Monday 22 May 2006 23:33,
rcl AT ihug.co.nz
wrote:
> Hi,
>
> There is an unfortunate bug in Solaris 9 (at some
> patchlevels anyway), where setting _res.options (as done in
> socketapi/internetaddress.cc) causes getaddrinfo to return
> incorrect results.
>
> It would be nice to work around this - while the problem is
> not in your code, it is triggered by socketapi, and is quite
> nasty and obscure to track down.
>
> A test program that illustrates the problem is below.
>
> Rather than setting _res.options, you should be able to do
> set:
>
> hints.ai_family = AF_UNSPEC;
> hints.ai_flags = AI_ADDRCONFIG
>
> for your calls to getaddrinfo() - I think using
> AI_ADDRCONFIG should achieve much the same as setting
> RES_USE_INET6, but is a standard mechanism, and does not
> change global state.

Yes, it seems to also work on Linux with IPv6 connection to the 6bone
network.
I will use AF_UNSPEC/AI_ADDRCONFIG when IPv6 is available, otherwise I set
AF_INET. You will receive a tarball of the latest version for testing during
the next few hours.

Dipl.-Inform. Thomas Dreibholz

University of Essen, Room ES210
Inst. for Experimental Mathematics Ellernstraße 29
Computer Networking Technology Group D-45326 Essen/Germany
E-Mail:
dreibh AT exp-math.uni-essen.de
Homepage: http://www.exp-math.uni-essen.de/~dreibh