Re: [SCTP-Discussion] Im new to SCTP and I need some help

  • From: Michael Tuexen <Michael.Tuexen AT micmac.franken.de>
  • To: Tomasz Jankowski <tomcioj AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: Irene Rüngeler <i.ruengeler AT fh-muenster.de>, SCTP discussion <discussion AT sctp.de>
  • Subject: Re: [SCTP-Discussion] Im new to SCTP and I need some help
  • Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2007 22:21:14 +0100

Hi Tom,

see my comments in-line.

On Nov 1, 2007, at 9:59 PM, Tomasz Jankowski wrote:

Hello!

I'm working on some small project, which will use SCTP protocol. I write on on Linux and so far everything is fine. Now I'm preparing to port my cod on Windows and I will be very happy if I will help me. I have poor experience with programming for win32, however I am not a total noob. I have a few questions/problems:
1. Which versions of Microsoft Windows sctplib (v1.0.6) support?
I think Irene used it on Windows XP, but I'm not sure. Irene?

3. I need to compile socketapi and sctplib packages to have working support for SCTP protocol, am I right?
You can use the sctplib by using the callback API. See the programs/ directory for
examples. If you want to use a socket API, you need to use the sockapilib.
And if you want to use the socketapilib on Windows, I guess *you* have to port
it, since we never tried to compile it on Windows. We only ported the sctplib.

4. I haven't found any API reference. I only read ext_socket.h file in socketapi package. I found them two sets of funnctions. First is the same as BSD sockets API, but with "ext_" prefix. The second set contains sctp_XXX functions. A I understand I should only functions provided by sctplib and i shouldn't not combine them with winsock API (for example use ext_socket () or ext_select () instead of socket () and select () ), right?
If you use the sockatapilib, you need to use ext_ functions. Like ext_socket instead
of socket and so on. Please note that you have to do this for *all* socket related
function calls in your code, even if they are not dealing with SCTP sockets.

5. sctplib just implement official API for SCTP protocol and does not add any extra stuff, not mentioned in some RFC or other official document?
The sctplib implements basic RFC 2960 with some stuff from RFC 4460. Please
note that it use a callback socket API which is not described in any RFC.

6. 'ext_socket.h; is the only header, which I need to include in my code on windows or I seel need to include winsock.h?
As I said: We never ported the socketapilib to Windows...

7. Last question, do I need to link my program with winsock or only with sctplib?
See my answer to 6.

I will be very happy if help me :)
We are happy to include any changes you suggest for porting the socketapilib to Windows.

--
Cya!
Tom