Re: [SCTP-Discussion] Patch for Win32

  • From: Michael Tuexen <Michael.Tuexen AT micmac.franken.de>
  • To: Carsten Fuchs <CarstenFuchs AT T-Online.de>
  • Cc: sctp-discussion AT sctp.de
  • Subject: Re: [SCTP-Discussion] Patch for Win32
  • Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2008 21:43:34 +0100

Hi Carsten,

see my comments in-line.

On Feb 7, 2008, at 9:17 PM, Carsten Fuchs wrote:

Hi Michael,

Michael Tuexen wrote:
I guess we'll stay with the autotools stuff on Unix/Linux platforms and the nmake stuff Windows...

Sure, this was just FYI.

e) Directories inc-win32/ and inc-linux/ [...]
No. We will continue to use the autotools stuff on Unix/Linux and will not include
generated files in the distribution. On Windows we have to provide something. But this
was already working...

Yes, I see; the config.h in inc-linux/ was just a helper for me.
The TRUE and FALSE definitions are probably from elsewhere (my strong suspect is the glib), but they could of course be moved e.g. into glib-repl/gtypes.h, wrapped into #ifdef LINUX ... #endif.

The config.h in inc-win32/ is just a one-liner, because I eventually found no other definition for uint32_t (if all else fails, this too could be moved into glib-repl/gtypes.h).
I'l look into this.

Just to make things clear: We are (or at least I'm) not continuing to develop the sctplib.

Oh, this is news to me! I didn't know that.
Somewhere I saw talk about a sctplib-1.3.x development version, and because nothing else was stated on the
Andreas Jungmaier was the main developer of the sctplib and it was part
of his PHD these. Now he has his PHD...

We still use some code based on the sctplib in a simulation environment and actively
develop that, but both project have diverged and therefor we are not porting back
the changes/bugfixes to the sctplib...

Andreas also started the 1.3.x stuff, but it was never really tested and so it
stayed a development version.
website sctp.de, I figured sctplib was still under development. Also because all the websites say that sctplib is the only (freely) available implementation for Windows... :-(
Yes, it is.

Well, this should have been my first question.

We are still supporting it, but I encourage everyone who needs an SCTP implementation
on Linux/Unix to use the kernel implementation on Linux/Unix. Only on Windows there is
no kernel level implementation (yet).

... and this is the very problem. Do you have any insights on Microsofts plans or schedule?
No, I don't. I have no relation with Microsoft (I even do not have a computer which
runs natively Windows), so I do not know.

I only know that some people in Japan ported the FreeBSD SCTP stack to Windows. They
have not released anything yet, but I can ping them...

Alternatively, can you recommend another free or commercial implementation for Windows? I already looked at the links at sctp.org, but all companies that are linked there only appear to offer SCTP as part of larger commercial packages that are aimed at telephone carriers.
No. You can ask them how much licenses cost...

Anyways, thanks for considering my patch!
I really like to drop the requirement of the glib... We'll incorporate much of it,
I'm pretty sure. I'll let you know.

Best regards,
Carsten

--